Monday, April 11, 2011

Globe Run for Home 2011 : Race Review

The Globe Run for Home 2010 was one of the events that I missed last year. This year, I planned to skip it again because of the skyrocketing price of registration. Fortunately, I was in my lucky times when I won a free race kit for any distance category courtesy of the KulitRunner's blog contest.  With little training, I joined the 21K category. This is my way of making sure that I cover well. Luckily, I was not disappointed.  Here are my thoughts regarding the race.


What's HOT?
  • Great route. Bonifacio Global City tends to be boring nowadays since most of the race events are held there. What made the route notable was the Ayala Avenue route which is usually not being utilized on almost all the previous 21K run I have joined. The usual challenge brought by the Kalayaan flyover is still there, the flat routes and the rolling hills all  contributed to the great run.
  • Hydration was enough. 100Plus was somewhat hard to come by but lucky me i did get a taste of the free banana in Ayala. 
  • The Event started on time and the pre-race event is commendable.
  • The medal is one of a kind (made of glass).
  • The singlet is worth keeping.
  • Traffic was handled well and the marshals were visible.
  • Ambulance and medical units are positioned strategically.
  • The race result came in fast.
  • It may have encountered a glitch but the facebook integration of result was a nice touch.
  • Accurate route.
  • Almost complete kilometer markers.
  • The beneficiaries are deserving.
What's NOT?
  • The route on the 21st/20th Drive was dark even with the flood lights.
  • One water station near the 10Km mark ran out of water, good thing they replenished them on time.
  • BazuSports remained glitchy! 
The Verdict.


Globe and RunRio put up a nice run. Runners need were provided just enough. Despite the high registration fee, the number of registrants was still big but not as big in 2010. Unless large chunk of the registration will actually go to the beneficiaries, I can say that the fee is somewhat pricey. If only BazuSports can get their acts together, I could have been better.

Will I join the event next year? It is not one in my must-run-event-for-2012 list but I would always include this on my possible races for 2012.

Will I recommend it to a friend? It really depends on how much your friend is willing to shell out to join a race.  For those that can afford any race, this one is a must try.


Rating.


Pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment